Friday 17 May 2013

Who the hell is Ida Pollock?


Loving these vintage covers..

If you'd asked me a few weeks ago what I thought of Ida Pollock, I would probably have said: 'Who the hell is Ida Pollock?

I'd never heard of her until I read Simon de Bruxelles' recent piece in The Times. Not surprising perhaps given she has numerous noms de plume and began her writing career more than 90 years ago. The surprising thing is that she's still going. Yes, at 105, Ida Pollock, who started writing at the age of 14 and already has 123 novels under her belt, is publishing two more this year.

Her stories are romances - she's written 70 books just for Mills & Boon - and may not be everyone's cup of tea but I for one admire Ida. Here's why:

1. She knew what she wanted to do from an early age - and did it.
2. She's found her niche and made herself at home there.
3. Her output is prodigious - she focuses on the job and gets it done.
4. Her books are romantic escapism pure and simple.  Ida says she loves writing them and I'm sure her readers enjoy them all the more because she does.
5. There's not a butt plug in sight.

Ida is an inspiration. When she turned 105 last month, The Romantic Novelists' Association (which she founded) made her their honorary vice president.

I'd like to add my best wishes too. Ida Pollock, Rose Burghley, Mary Whistler, Marguerite Bell, Joan Allen - whoever you are, I salute you. Many happy returns.

Who's inspiring you this week? I'd love to know...



1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete